Many people ask me questions about the ZLA training program. A lot of confusion seems to stem from the complexity and number of steps in the training program. In this article I'll go through each of the steps and what they entail.
- Initial S1 Checkout
- This certification takes place on Sweatbox on Lindbergh Ground (SAN_GND). In this first session at ZLA you'll be tested on your clearance delivery and ground knowledge.
- Upon completion of this certification you'll be able to control all minor (GC) delivery or ground positions in ZLA.
- Major Ground Training
- This session takes place on LAX_GND. Depending on your performance the initial S1 checkout, you may find yourself in a sweatbox or on the live network.
- Completion of this certification means you'll be able to control LAX or LAS ground at any time.
- Basic Tower Training
- Your first tower session will take place onat SAN_TWR. Depending on coordination between you and your instructor prior to the session, it may be on Sweatbox OR the live network. Based on your performance during this session, you will be granted your GCS2 and permitted to control any GC tower position in ZLA.
- You'll continue your training on LAX_TWR until you're given your Major Tower Solo. This certification allows you to work Los Angeles Tower alone as LAX_S_TWR
- Advanced Tower Training
- Your training will continue at LAX_TWR. Your instructor will be looking for a comprehensive knowledge of basic tower procedures and the LAX-specific procedures you've been learning.
- Upon completion of this certification you'll be able to control LAX_TWR by yourself at any time without the _S_ in your callsign.
- S3 Checkout
- Your first approach session will take place on San Diego sector of Socal Approach.. Upon meeting the requirements of the GCS3 you will be able to control all GC approach facilities in ZLA.
- Basic Single Sector Approach
- Training will move to L30. As you progress towards the full certification you will be given your Single Sector TRACON Solo. This certification allows you to control L30 as LAS_S_APP at any time.
- Advanced Single Sector Approach
- Training will continue at L30. When you show proficiency in all basic TRACON and L30-specific procedures, you will be given your Single Sector TRACON Certification. This allows you to control L30 unrestricted, and any SOCAL approach sector (excluding west, feeder, and final) at any time.
- SOCAL Combined TRACON
- This training happens on LAX_APP and occurs in 2 stages. First, you will be given your SCT Solo, allowing you to work LAX_APP at any time with the _S_ in your callsign.
- Secondly, you will be recommended for an SCT OTS. This OTS will take place with an instructor and upon successful completion you will be able to work LAX_APP unrestricted.
- Basic Center Training
- This training takes place on LAX_CTR. When you show proficiency in basic center procedures you will be given your Center Solo. This allows you to control LAX_CTR with the _S_ in your callsign.
- Advanced Center Training
- Upon showing proficiency in all basic and LAX center procedures you will be recommended for a CTR OTS. This OTS will also take place with an instructor. Upon successful completion you will be able to work LAX_CTR unrestricted and will have completed the ZLA training program.
Do solo certs expire?A:
Yes, solo certifications expire every 60 days unless you do another session. If you do another session they can be renewed for an additional 60 days.